Kitty Hawk Kayak & Surf School, in conjunction with Hype Promotions and the OBX Brewfest, is proud to announce the Inaugural OBX Brewathlon Adventure Race!!!
The race will include a series of 7 legs of classic Outer Banks adventure sports and leisure activities that the OBX is known for:
- Standup Paddleboarding
- BBQ & Brews
Each physical activity will be followed directly after with a traditional beach game to keep it low stakes, fun and unique. The race can be split up as a team event/relay or a one man or woman show “Ironman” entrance. Prize packages will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers for the Team division, males and females. Participants will receive a Brewathlon Adventure Race shirt and entrance into the race after party at Pamlico Jack's with brews, live music from local rock legends Zack Mexico, BBQ and good vibes!! Awards ceremony for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers for mens, womens and team divisions will be given out at the OBX Brewfest Kickoff Party at Trio later that day at 7 pm.
Brewathlon Race Course Map
- The race will begin at the Forrest Street Public Beach Access in Nags Head, just south of the OBX Brewfest Event Site. Participants will then run 1 mile to the Grey Eagle Public Beach Access just North of Jannette’s Pier.
- Participants will then have to score 5 points tossing horse at the Gray Eagle beach before starting the surfing portion of the race (leaners or ringers).
- Then race participants will hit the water and must catch 3 waves standing up and riding for 3 seconds.
- Once completed, participants will be transported via Kitty Hawk Kayak & Surf School vans to the Nags Head Estuary Boat launch to paddle a Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) to the Kitty Hawk Kites store. Finish times for the 1st 3 legs will be recorded and participants will start using lag/delayed starts for the SUP leg following the surfing.
- Participants will arrive at the Kitty Hawk Kites Whalebone Junction store via SUP and then have to score 5 points in the cornhole toss.
- Once completed, participants will launch their kayaks and paddle 2.7 miles in the Roanoke Sound north to the Harvey Sound Public Sound Access.
- After the race participants will be transported via Kitty Hawk Kayak & Surf School vans back to Pamlico Jack’s restaurant for awards ceremony and after party.